Lemon rice is a delicious South Indian rice dish that you can easily put together if you are in a hurry or if you are running out of your pantry stock 🙂 Seriously, if you have some rice and lime at home, you can easily put together this simple dish. It is hot and sour and very flavorful rice item which would take less than 10 mins to prepare if you have some leftover rice. Since this dish is mainly seasoned with Lime juice and oil, it doesn’t spoil easily too. So this can be a good option to consider if you are one among those people who likes/prefers to eat homemade food (aka comfort food), when you go for road trips or are set for a journey.
Also, this dish doesn’t call for any side dish to go with it. You could just relish it with some fried appalams or papad. However, since this dish is little dry in nature, I prefer to have it with a side condiment. I had never thought of it before, but one day when my colleague got it with Chicken 65, I absolutely loved the combination. So now when I make lemon rice, I prefer to have it with chicken 65 or pepper chicken(dry) or something of similar kind 🙂 You could make you own combination to go with it. Enjoy this simple, yet flavorful rice 🙂
Note: Cup used for measurement is US measurement cup, 1 cup = 237 ml
Rice(Raw rice/Basmati) – 1.25 cups
Lime – 1 no. large and juicy or 3 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp, heaped
Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp, heaped
Asafetida – 1/4 tsp
Chana dal/Bengal gram – 1 tsp
Urad dal/Black gram – 1/4 tsp, heaped
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Dry red chilli – 2 nos
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Green chilli – 4 nos, chopped
Salt – to taste (apprx. 1/2 tsp)
Oil – 3 tbsp
1. Cook rice and keep aside in a bowl. While cooking the rice, put 2 drops of oil or 1 tsp lime juice so that the grains don’t stick to each other.
2. In a pan, heat oil. Put mustard seeds and let it splutter. Then add cumin seeds, chana dal(bengal gram), urad dal(black gram) and dry red chilli. Saute till the dals turn light brown.
3. Then add curry leaves, green chilli, asafetida and turmeric powder and saute till the raw smell goes off and remove from heat. Put the contents of the pan to the rice bowl.
4. Mix lime juice and salt well so that salt gets evenly spread to the rice.
5. Add the lime juice also to the rice bowl and give it all a good mix so that everything is spread evenly with the rice.
Serve with papad or Chicken 65 😉