Since I have completed my 50 recipes(yayyyy!!!! 😀 ), I thought I should do something exciting. So I came up with this idea, that my next 5 recipes/posts would be something that I have never tried before. It will be something ‘NEW’ and my first attempt on it.
So to begin that challenge, I came up with the simplest thing one could make. Frankly, till few weeks back, I didn’t even know what ‘Kalonji’ was! I didn’t know such a thing even exists. But I bought it for a particular recipe that will follow this post and so now I have to try and come up with recipes, that makes use of this 🙂
Having said that, though it was just an experiment, it really came out well and I am for sure making it again! Kalonji Gobi Aloo goes very well with chappatis and is a time saver. It would altogether take you less than 30 mins to make this dish. It is very simple in its preparation method. The least ingredients used, the simplest flavors from mustard oil and kalonji, it is perfect if you want to soothe your stomach and not spice it up with all the regular masalas 😉
Cauliflower – 1 small sized
Potato – 2 medium sized
Kalonji/Nigella seeds – 1 tsp
Green chilli – 5-6 nos
Mustard oil – 1 tbsp
Salt – to taste(apprx. over 1/4 tsp)
1. Heat oil in a pan. If using mustard oil, you should ensure that the oil is heated properly(you should be able to see fumes coming slightly). To this, add nigella/kalonji seeds.
2. Once the kalonji seeds pop, add slit green chilli, diced potato and half the salt. Pour some water(apprx. 1/4 cup) and cook covered in medium flame.
3. Meanwhile, cut cauliflower into medium sized florets(almost same size of the diced potato). Wash them and put into the pan.
4. Add the remaining salt and give a good mix. Cook covered till potato and cauliflower is done. The cauliflower shouldn’t be mushy. It should be soft and yet slightly firm. Since you cover and cook, the potato will also be cooked properly.
5. If there is water in the pan even after the vegetables cook, put the flame to high and sauté for couple of minutes to make it dry.
Serve with chappati/roti(Indian bread).