Sandwich and burgers are usually good alternative when you are hungry and you don’t have enough time for an elaborate cooking. The easiest thing probably is to just store some frozen patties in your refrigerator so that you could make a burger anytime you feel like. But for me, I don’t like the frozen patties. So I prefer making the patties myself. The reason I brought this is up is because, unlike most people, assembling a burger is not as easy for me 😦
Few weeks back, on one of those lazy days when I didn’t get time to prepare my lunch,
I accidentally had an Eggplant burger at the cafeteria. Why accidentally??? Okay let me explain 🙂 Eggplant is one of those vegetables that I wouldn’t go near also and taking a risk with eggplant burger, ( burger being one of my favourites!! ) was totally not by choice. But somehow that day, I bought this and my opinion about eggplant changed. I think I can have eggplants now by choice 🙂
Here is a simple recipe of a spicy eggplant and hummus burger(or you could call it a sandwich). Its simply delicious and worth a trial 😛
Eggplant – 1 nos
Red chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Coriander powder – 1/4 tsp
Cumin powder – 1/2 tsp
Garlic powder – 1/4 tsp
Onion powder – 1/4 tsp
Chaat masala/Sandwich masala – 1/4 tsp
Garam masala – 1/4 tsp
Freshly ground black pepper – 1/4 tsp
Lime juice – 2 tsp or Vinegar – 1/2 tsp
Salt – to taste (apprx. 1/4 tsp)
Oil(I used olive oil) – 1 tbsp
1. Cut the eggplant into 1/2 inch thick slices. Rub the slices with little salt so that any bitter taste will be gone and wash thoroughly. Pat the slices dry with kitchen towel.
2. Mix all spice powders together with lime juice/vinegar. To the mix add 1/2 tsp oil also so that the mix will bind well to the eggplant. The mix should be in the form of a thick paste so that it is easier to apply it on the eggplant. Add water to bring the mix to the right consistency if required.
3. Using a spatula, apply this spice mix on the eggplant slices. Let it marinate for 15-20 mins.
4. Preheat the oven to 400 deg F. On a baking sheet or foil, spray some oil. Place the eggplants on the sheet and rub oil on both sides of the eggplant.
5. Bake the eggplant for about 30-40 mins turning them around once during this time.
6. On both sides of the burger bun, spread generous amount of hummus. Place an eggplant slice on each bun and your burger is ready to be served!