Idiyappam is yet another rice based breakfast item of Kerala. To give you some idea about the dish, this can be described as steamed rice noodles. As plain as it sounds, it is that simple in terms of the ingredients that go into making this breakfast item.
Just few days back I realized that Idiyappam is one of DD’s favorite breakfast items. Though I also like it, I had never made it before myself. I didn’t even have Sevanazhi(idiyappam maker) with me. But I was now keen on attempting to make this thing. So I borrowed the Sevanazhi from my friend last day and thankfully, my first attempt was successful. I might buy one Sevanazhi for myself coz of that. But I must say, it isn’t that easy to make the dough, especially if you are doing and seeing it for the first time, like me 😛 It is little tricky the first time. But I think it will get easier as you go and in the next few attempts, you will become an expert 🙂
Rice flour – 1.5 cups
Water – 1.5 cups
Salt – to taste(apprx. 1/2 tsp)
Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
Oil – 1 tbsp
1. Heat a pan and roast the rice flour lightly.
2. Meanwhile, boil the water.
3. Once the rice is roasted, mix the boiling water to the flour and keep mixing with a spoon.
4. Make a dough/ball out of the rice flour mixture. This can get tricky if you are dealing with it for the first time.
TIP: 1. Since you are using boiling water, don’t use your hands to make the dough immediately. Initially use a spoon to mix the flour. After it cools down a little, wet your hands with cold water and try to make the ball.
2. Keep wetting your hand with the cold water. This helps in dealing with the sticky nature of rice flour also.
5. Grease idli plates with little bit of oil. Put small amounts of grated coconut on the idli plates.
6. Fill the Sevanazhi/Idiyappam maker with half the portion of the dough. Rotate/Press the sevanazhi/idiyappam maker in a circular motion and fill the idli place(into each slot so that it looks like an idli or make one big idiyappam).
7. Put a generous pinch of grated coconut on top of the idiyappams.
8. Stack the idli plates and place into the steamer and steam it for 5-6 mins.
Serve with egg roast or stew.