Egg roast is a very typical side dish with appam, idiyappam or kerala porotta. Lately, I realized that DD likes idiyappam a lot. So I made idiyappam and the first combination I could think of was idiyappam and egg roast. Of course, we enjoyed this combination. I don’t make this dish often, rather this was my first time making egg roast. But I am making it again for sure. It is an easy dish to make and goes well with chappati too.
Ginger – 1.5 inch piece
Garlic – 10-12 pods
Green chilli – 2 nos, slit
Curry leaves – 2 strands
Onion – 3 nos. small sized, sliced
Egg – 3 nos
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Red chilli powder – 1/4 tsp
Black pepper powder – 3/4 tsp
Garam masala – 1/4 tsp
Oil – 6 tbsp
Salt – to taste(apprx. 1.25 tsp)
1. Boil the eggs, remove shell and keep aside.
2. Crush ginger and garlic together using pestle and mortar.
3. Heat oil in a pan and put crushed ginger ‘n garlic and curry leaves. Saute till it turns golden brown.
4. Then add onions, salt and green chillis. Saute onion and let it cook well in medium high flame.
5. Once the onions turn pink, add black pepper powder, turmeric powder and red chilli powder.
6. Saute till the spices and onions cook well. You will know that it is cooked through when the oil starts to separate and onions turn brown.
7. Add the boiled egg and saute for 2-3 mins more. Push the onions to one side of the pan such that eggs touch the pan. This will roast the eggs nicely.
8. Remove from heat and slice the egg into halves.