Date roll: I had a whole box of dates at home and it was untouched for weeks. I had bought it with the intention of having 3-4 dates per day to keep my iron level normal 🙂 And now after few weeks, I am thinking hard on how to use it up without having to throw it!!! Then I remembered some roll my mom used to make. I remembered the shape and texture but wasn’t quite sure how to make it. So I consulted the expert, obviously, mom; and she told me what to do. I have to admit, it got over in no time 🙂
So here it is. Date roll, one of the healthiest snack you could feed your kids with. Its made into a nice form and bite size pieces, so kids are going to love it. And if you think about the time you spend on it, its a real treat to have. Overall, it took 10 mins of my time to make it 🙂 Personally, I really liked the crunchiness of the crackers/biscuits while it still had all the softness that the dates had to provide.
Dates – 1 lb/450 gm
(60 nos apprx.)
Ghee – 3 tbsp
Sugar – 3 tsp
Cracker(Marie Gold) – 10 nos
1. In a blender/food processor, pulse the dates for few seconds such that the dates are chopped finely.
2. Transfer it to a bowl. Mix the ghee with the dates and knead the dates with your hands till it combines well.
3. Place it covered for about an hour. The dates will become soft then.
4. Break the crackers/ Marie gold biscuits into small pieces(you could use pestle and mortar).
5. After an hour, mix these broken biscuits to the date and mix it well with the dates. Try to make the biscuits spread evenly to the kneaded date ball.
6. Divide the ball into halves. Using hands, roll out the ball to form a cylindrical roll. Give it a good and flat shape at the ends.
7. Cover in a cheesecloth and refrigerate for couple of hours so that the roll is set properly.
8. Slice into 1/2 inch size pieces and enjoy 🙂