I was thinking about what else can I make that I haven’t made before. Then when I spoke to mom, I remembered her coconut burfi, which I remember was pista green in color. But that’s all I knew about it. I hadn’t had that for a long time. I quickly asked her for the recipe and it was quite simple to remember. She said, “Oh, that’s easy. It is 3:2:1 ratio. 3 coconut, 2 sugar and 1 milk”. That’s all I needed. Of course, I knew she used green food color and vanilla extract :- )
That very day, I decided to make this dessert. Once I made it and tasted it, ah, that taste..I could easily tell that this is exactly how mom used to make it. It was just the ditto taste and look. I was soo thrilled!! I gave it to DD and he was like, “Oh, these things can be made at home too??” Well, I couldn’t be happier 😀 Then he gave his best rating for this dish and that took my level of satisfaction a level higher. It is an easy dessert to make at home and super tasty.
Shredded coconut – 3 cups
Sugar – 2 cups
Milk – 1 cup
Vanilla essence – 1 tsp
Food color(green) – 1 pinch
Ghee/Butter – 1 tsp
1. Take a flat plate/flat tray in which you can set and spread the burfi once its ready. Grease it with ghee/butter. Keep aside.
2. In a saucepan, add coconut, sugar and milk. Mix them well and cook in medium high flame.
3. Once the mixture starts to thicken, reduce the flame to medium and stir continuously.
4. Mix the food color in 2 tbsp water.
5. Slowly pour the color and vanilla extract into the mixture and mix well so that it spreads evenly.
6. The burfi is ready to be removed from stove once it is thick/dry enough so that when you take the mixture into your hands, it shouldn’t stick to your hands. At the same time, you should be able to give it your desired shape.
7. Once it reaches the right consistency(as mentioned in the previous step), remove from stove and spread it evenly on the greased tray/plate.
8. Try and make it as even as possible. You could use another flat pan/vessel to press it and make the surface even and smooth.
9. Then using a knife, slice/mark the coconut burfi into the desired shape. Marking/Cutting at this stage is important, else the burfi will harden and then you will not be able to cut it properly. You could cut it into square/diamond pieces. Then allow it to rest for an hour or so.
10. Take one slice from the edge and the other pieces will come off easily.