I love Mexican fast food. But for some reason, I don’t buy quesadilla a lot. It could be the abundance of cheese in it that makes me avoid it. One day I happened to buy quesadilla from our cafeteria. They served chicken quesadilla with sour cream and salsa. That day I absolutely loved the quesadilla and I enjoyed it more coz of the tangy salsa that was served along. I thought to myself that I should try making this at home one day. Usually you see a lot of cheese quesadilla or chicken quesadilla. I thought that when I am trying something, let it be ‘not so usual’ afterall 🙂
So I decided to try making Shrimp Quesadilla. The day I decided to make this, I went all out in buying everything that would go well with it. The grocery list was huge 😛 (chips, soda, sour cream and everything required to make salsa, guacamole etc etc 🙂 ). DD pointed it out to me that buying a quesadilla from a restaurant would have worked out cheaper 😛 LOL! All I can say is that all the effort and money that went into making it was definitely worth it!!
Tortilla – 4 large sized
Shrimp – 20 nos
Onion – 1 nos small sized
Garlic – 5-6 pods
Green bell pepper – 1/2 of a small sized one
Red bell pepper – 1/2 of a small sized one
Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
Cumin powder – 1/2 tsp
Cream cheese – 1.5 tbsp
Olive oil – 1 tbsp
Shredded Cheddar/Monterey Jack cheese – 1/4 cup
Coriander leaves – 2 or 3 strands
Salt – to taste (apprx. 1/4 tsp)
1. Mince shrimp in a food processor/grinder.
2. Heat oil in a pan and put finely chopped garlic. When the garlic turns light brown, add chopped onion and salt.
3. Cook till onion turns light pink. To this add pepper powder and cumin powder. Saute for few seconds.
4. Add finely chopped bell peppers. Cook till the bell pepper is little soft.
5. Add minced shrimp and sauté till the shrimp cooks through. It wouldn’t take much long to cook.
6. To this add cream cheese and mix well. Saute for 3-4 mins. Garnish with chopped coriander/cilantro leaves.
7. To make the quesadilla, take tortilla and layer the tortilla with the filling. Spread the filling evenly. Top it with some cheese.
8. You could either spread the filling in half the tortilla and fold in the other half. Or alternatively, place filling in one tortilla and place another tortilla on top of the other and press it together.
9. Once ready, heat a pan and toast the quesadilla till it becomes slightly crispy and brown on both sides. Alternatively, you could bake it in the oven at 375 deg F for 10 mins .
Serve warm Shrimp Quesadilla with sour cream, Guacamole and freshly made salsa.