To all the shrimp lovers, this is the easiest recipe for making a delicious shrimp dish. The flavor comes fresh from mushrooms and freshly ground black pepper. Usually I make shrimp with lot of other spices, but the simplicity of this dish is what gives it a very unique flavor.
I was doubtful of how much DD would appreciate this dish. But I know he loves a peppery touch to the dishes. I served him this new dish with some fried rice. Usually when I make new stuff, I ask him to rate the dish so I know how good or bad it is :-P. I must add here, that he is very stingy in giving rating, especially when it comes to my cooking :-(. And he claims that the reason behind it is so that I would be motivated to do better each time. Well, having said that, I was pleasantly surprised when he gave me one of his highest rating for this new dish 😀
Shrimp – 15 nos
Mushroom – 1.5 cups
(I used Enoki mushrooms. But you could use white mushrooms if the former is not found. Its easy to find enoki mushrooms in Ranch market or any Asian market)
Onion – 1/2 of a small sized one
Garlic – 3-4 pods
Curry leaves – 4-5 leaves
Black Pepper – 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Olive oil – 1 tbsp
Salt – to taste(apprx 1/4 tsp)
1. Clean the mushroom and shrimp and keep aside.
2. Heat olive oil in a pan. Add chopped garlic and curry leaves and saute till garlic turns light brown.
3. Add chopped onion and salt. Fry till it turns light pink. Add turmeric powder and half the ground black pepper. Saute for 30 secs.
4. To this add mushroom. Saute till mushroom is 75% cooked.
Note: Since I have used enoki mushrooms, I put the whole mushroom. But if you use white mushrooms, then slice them into small pieces.
5. Now add shrimp. Saute occasionally till shrimp is cooked through.
Note: The shrimp that we get here in the US doesn’t take too long to cook. It takes just 2-3 mins. But if the shrimp takes longer to cook than mushroom or they take almost same time, put them to the pan together. The thing to be noted is that both should cook well together.
6. Once mushroom and shrimp are cooked through, take it from heat and add the remaining ground black pepper and stir lightly.
Serve hot with any indo-chinese noodle/rice varieties or as a side condiment with any regular meal.